The Internship Program is unique as its principle focus is in identifying and matching the best possible professional internship placement for both the applicant and Host Organisation. We are able to place candidates from different educational backgrounds into successful internships with many different Host Organisations, according to their skills and experience.
Changes in the international marketplace are rapidly transforming the business world into a global industry and consequently we are constantly challenged with greater diversity in our work place. At Internships Ireland, we recognise the importance of a skilled and knowledgeable workforce that is flexible and well prepared for the changing global economy.
Our international interns have helped hundreds of Irish and global companies gain a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
If you have never taken interns from another country before please read on for further details and see our Q&A page which should help to answer some of your questions;
• What is an internship ?
• The difference between an internship and a job
• Why offer a student internship ?
• Benefits of hosting an intern
We are also very happy to answer any of your queries in person.
If you have internship opportunities and are looking for enthusiastic young professionals, why not consider one of our international students ?
What is an internship ?
An “internship” is defined by the National Society for Experiential Education (NSEE) as;
“a carefully monitored work or volunteer experience in which an individual has intentional learning goals and reflects actively on what he or she is learning throughout the experience”
Internships Ireland would elaborate on this to say that, an internship is the transition from study to work and is a necessary component in order to develop a student’s skills, making them more advanced and diligent when they finally have the opportunity to be apart of the working world.
The difference between an internship and a job
An internship program is quite different to a job, all of our international interns are looking for“hands on” work experience in the real world aligned to their academic studies. The internship program is structured on the intern’s objectives and what they’d like to achieve out of the program. An internship is the missing link between academic studies and work experience. A professional internship program is unpaid as the main aim is for the intern to achieve their objectives.
Why offer a student an internship ?
• It’s a completely free way to add new skills, a fresh perspective and an international dimension to your business.
• Students have excellent academic backgrounds.
• There is no cost or risk to your business and students are covered by their own insurance.
• Internships offer a great opportunity to assess a student’s skills before committing to a full time contract.
• Your business contributes to the development of the student and adds an important practical dimension to their academic education.
Benefits to hosting an intern
There are many benefits to hosting an international intern:
• All our interns are highly skilled and dedicated to gaining hands on experience whilst in Ireland.
• Internship programs can range from 4 weeks up to 52 weeks.
• International interns are eager and committed to training.
• As many of our interns speak 2 or 3 different languages they can benefit a host organisation by offering links overseas.
• Our interns are committed to internationalising their careers and gaining valuable experience which is directly related to their studies and essential for success in today’s global market.
• All of the interns are either current under and post-graduate students or recent graduates.
• We take the time to ensure that each intern’s skill set and objectives are well matched with the host organisation.
• All interns are self insured with copies of their insurance documents provided prior to commencement.
• All terms and conditions for the internship and related training are defined in a contract and agreed to by both parties. No confusion or misunderstandings !
• Many of our interns have been recognised for their achievements and receive financial sponsorship from either their universities or government bodies.
How to find out more ?
For more information contact Internships Ireland by email or call +353 1 8395546.